Defining a strategic vision to support accreditation
The School of Business, Management and Economics at the University of Sussex wished to achieve EQUIS accreditation from EFMD. A key part of the process required the School to clearly define the distinctiveness of its offer.
At the time, the School simply used the University’s vision and mission. However, the School had been evolving and the vision and mission required a refresh to ensure they reflected its ambition and clearly differentiated it in the increasingly crowded and competitive business education marketplace.
CarringtonCrisp was engaged to support the School and undertook the following work:
- Desk research to examine the vision, mission and positioning of competitors as well as a review of market best practice.
- Internal interviews with staff and students.
- Development of outline options for the vision and mission.
- Running a workshop with staff and students to test and develop the options
- Running an online survey for academic and professional staff to test revised options.
- Analysing the survey findings and making final recommendations for the vision and mission.
A refreshed vision and mission was created for the School and in 2019 it achieved EQUIS accreditation.
“CarringtonCrisp helped us with the development of an up-to-date vision and mission. The team brought a wealth of expertise, clarity, and insight to the table, and guided us through the process with a combination of stakeholder interviews, workshops, and a staff survey, ultimately ensuring that all involved had the opportunity to participate in the process. As a result we are very satisfied with our resulting vision and mission statement, and believe it does justice to the distinct features of our School and University.”
- Hans van der Heijden, Deputy Head of School & Professor of Accounting, University of Sussex, School of Business, Management and Economics